Quick Links

Main Navigation

Top

PV District Notices

Home > breadcrumbs: Prairie Valley > breadcrumbs: PV District Notices >

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Prairie Valley Community School District Annual Notices

August 04, 2020

Prairie Valley Community School District

Southeast Valley High School

Farnhamville Elementary School

Annual Notices

2020-2021

Fee Waiver

Students whose families meet the income guidelines for free and reduced price lunch, the Family Investment Program (FIP), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), transportation assistance under open enrollment, or who are in foster care are eligible to have their textbook fees waived or partially waived.  Students whose families are experiencing a temporary financial difficulty may be eligible for a temporary waiver of textbook rental.  Parents and students who believe they may qualify for temporary financial hardship should contact the officials at each respective building at registration time for a waiver form. This waiver does not carry over from year to year and must be completed annually.

Notice of Non-Discrimination

It is the policy of the Prairie Valley Community School District not to illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age (for employment), marital status (for programs), sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status (for programs) in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy please contact the district’s Equity Coordinator, Lisa Willardson, Equity Coordinator, 1111 Beek Street, Gowrie, IA 50543, 515-352-3173, email: lwillardson@svjags.org or to Greg Slininger, Principal: Southeast Valley Middle School, 30850 Paragon Ave., Burnside, IA 50521, 515-359-2235.

ESSA – Every Student Succeeds Act

Parents/Guardians in the Prairie Valley Community School District schools have the right to learn about the following qualifications of their child's teacher: state licensure requirements for the grade level and content areas taught, the current licensing status of your child's teacher, and baccalaureate/graduate certification/degree. You may also request the qualifications of an instructional paraprofessional who serves your student in a Title I program or if your school operates a school wide Title I program. Parents/Guardians may request this information from the Office of the Superintendent by calling 515-352-3173 or by sending a letter of request to the Office of the Superintendent, 1111 Beek Street, PO Box 49, Gowrie, IA, 50543-0049.

The Prairie Valley Community School District schools ensure that parents will be notified in writing if their child has been assigned, or has been taught by a teacher for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not considered highly qualified.

Student Records & Student Illness/Health Services

Parent(s) or guardian(s) of minor students have the right of access to information about their children in school record-keeping systems.  Minor students accompanied by parent(s), adult students, or former students of adult age have the same right of access to information about themselves.  Parents, legal guardians, or adult students may challenge the content of these records to correct or amend alleged inaccuracies.  “Directory Information” which includes name, address, telephone, date and place of birth, field of study, participation in activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards, and similar information can be released without consent unless an objection to release the Directory Information is on file at the school of attendance.

When a student becomes ill or is injured at school, the school district will attempt to notify the student's parents as soon as possible. Please refer to School Board Policy 507.4 Student Illness or Injury at School.

Health services are an integral part of comprehensive school improvement, assisting all students to increase learning, achievement, and performance.  Please refer to School Board Policy 607.2 Student Health Services.

Chapter 102

Suspected Student Abuse Reporting

Chapter 102 of the Iowa Code requires that every school district appoint Level I and Level II personnel to investigate reported alleged student abuse by a school employee.

The appointed personnel for the Prairie Valley Schools are:

Level I:          School Nurse

Level II:         Superintendent of Schools

Local Law Enforcement

OPEN ENROLLMENT

Parents/Guardians considering the use of the Open Enrollment option to enroll their children in another public school district in the State of Iowa should be aware of the following dates:

March 1, 2021 - Last date for regular open enrollment requests for 2021-2022 school year.

September 1, 2021 - Deadline for open enrollment requests for students entering kindergarten.

Parents/Guardians of open enrolled students may apply for transportation assistance by answering question on the application and attaching verification of income.

Open enrollment forms may be picked up in the District office in the district in which you reside or www.state.ia.us/educate/.

APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED WITH BOTH THE RECEIVING AND RESIDENT DISTRICTS.

If open enrollment is denied - within 30 days of a denial of an open enrollment request by a district board of education, the parent/guardian may file an appeal with the state board of education only if the open enrollment request was based on repeated acts of harassment or a serious health condition of the student that the district cannot adequately address; and that all other denials must be appealed to the district court in the county in which the primary business office of the district is located.

Possible loss of athletic eligibility for open enrollment pupils -- A pupil who changes school districts under open enrollment in any of the grades 9 through 12 shall not be eligible to participate in varsity interscholastic athletic contests and competitions during the first 90 school days of enrollment.  This 90-school-day restriction does not prohibit the pupil from practicing with an athletic team during the 90 school days of ineligibility.

Homeless Education

You can contact the school district’s local liaison for homeless education for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging your child to continue in his or her former school. Prairie Valley Community School District liaison for homeless education is Amanda Strouse, Student Support Services.  Telephone number 515-352-5545.

Use of Recording Devices on School Buses

The Prairie Valley School Board supports the use of recording devices on school buses/vehicles as a means to monitor and maintain a safe environment for students and employees.  The recording devices may be used on buses/vehicles used for transportation to and from school, field trips, curricular events and extracurricular events.  The contents of the recordings may be used as evidence in a student disciplinary proceeding.  Please refer to school board policy 711.2R2 Use of Recording Devices on School Buses Regulation.

August 2020

To:          Parents, Students, Patrons, and Staff

From:     Kerry Hanlon, Asbestos Program Manager

Re:          Asbestos in our Prairie Valley Community School District Buildings

This school district, in accordance with federal regulations, has identified asbestos containing material in the buildings and developed an approved District Plan for maintaining these materials in a way to minimize potential health risks to the building occupants.  The approved District Plan is available for inspection by interested parties, during regular business hours, in the offices of the specific buildings of the District.   

The Program Manager can be reached at the Gowrie building, or by telephone at 515-352-3142.

The regulations direct us to provide this annual notice to you concerning asbestos awareness in the District.  I would summarize the status of this District concerning asbestos as follows:                       

• Prairie Valley Elementary School Farnhamville building - Asbestos has been identified in the Air Handling System expansion joints.
  • Southeast Valley High School Gowrie building - Identified asbestos containing material is found in the vinyl floor tile in classrooms of the south wing. (Removed July 2017)

All asbestos containing material is being maintained in an appropriate and responsible manner, and does not represent a risk to people using the buildings.

Your care and cooperation is requested to avoid damage to the asbestos containing material in these buildings.

Back To Top